This 2 day course is for herbal medicine practitioners/ students wishing to gain more in depth knowledge of growing and harvesting specific plants for making medicines for their clinical practice. The days are practical with hands on learning.
Participants will learn how to make a range of herbal preparations specific to medical conditions which they could dispense to patients in their clinical practice. The remedies are made from freshly harvested plants from the garden. Throughout the 2 days medicinal properties and phytochemical content of a wide range of plants will be discussed.
To hear Marina speaking about what to expect on the course watch our YouTube video
Over this practical 2 days you will
• Get more familiar with living plants and plant identification
• Get the opportunity to see over 250 species of medicinal herbs
• See spacing and size of mature plants for consideration of setting up a herb garden
• Learn what herbs would be easy to grow for your own garden environment
• Discussion of practical aspects of growing in polytunnels as well as outisde
• Discussions on soil types and best potting composts etc
• Gain an understanding of the quantity of plant material needed to grow to make your own remedies for clinical practice
• Be able to make a variety of creams, glycerites, ointments and tinctures for a range of specific conditions seen in clinic
• Have the ability to adapt formulae of remedy recipes going forward to suit specific plants and specific medical conditions
• Learn about the properties of the ingredients for all the remedies made - from choosing the right oils, waxes and butters for medicinal cream and ointment making to alcohols for tinctures
• Learn where to source ingredients and sundries for making medicines
• Have an opportunity to ask questions about any of the herbs grown from experienced growers
• An opportunity for revision of phyochemicals of the plants and therapeutics
You will experience
• Hands on making remedies for clinic from fresh plant material from the gardens
• Demonstrations of additional remedies made
• Hands on sowing and care growing of medicinal plants
• Hands on harvesting of a variety of plants
• Tasters of remedies made and tinctures
• Herb walks in the Ivywood gardens
You will take home
• The herbal remedies you made over the 2 days
• Recipe handouts of remedies for clinicians to produce for their patients
• Sown seeds, cutting etc of plants which you worked with over the 2 days
This is an ideal course for any Herbalist wishing to be more self-sufficient in their practice.
All day courses include a vegetarian lunch and tea/ coffee and snacks. Our medicinal plant nursery is open with plants to purchase during all courses ran at Ivywood. Course attendees are welcome to avail of short walks in the Ivywood woodland during lunch and tea breaks. Please note this course is for over 16's. Children may NOT accompany course attendees.
|Event Date||To Be Confirmed|
|Event End Date||To Be Confirmed|