This half day certificate course is aimed at the organic farmer or wildcrafter who wishes to grow/harvest medicinal crops and sell them for processing into Herbal medicines. GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) standards must be implemented for the processing of medicinal plants and GACP is an excellent set of guidelines used during the growing,harvesting and transportation of these plants. GACP insures full trace-ability back to the seed source for each medicinal product. Following GACP standards insures that only the highest quality plants are grown but are also harvested at their optimal times. The course content is compiled from years of crop trials that Ross has carried out and up to date European guidelines.
We will cover the following topics on the day:
• Best practice for harvesting and packing.
• How and why it is important to be compliant in growing medicinal crops • Full trace ability using GACP
• Documentation that is needed for each crop • Prices paid for harvested plants in 2019
• Expected yields of crops • Over 60 medicinal crops covered including Hemp/Cannabis • Crops that are need this year and over the coming years
• Correct identification and wildcrafting • Special requirements for certain crops • Drying and exporting
On the day we can discuss individually with farmers what crops would be suitable for them to grow and what price they will receive for their crop. You will receive a certificate of completion from this course which can be used when selling your plant material to herb companies.
All half day courses include tea/ coffee and snacks. Our medicinal plant nursery is open with plants to purchase during all courses ran at Ivywood. Course attendees are welcome to avail of short walks in the Ivywood woodland during tea break.